Thursday, November 28, 2013

Assessing Meaningful Learning

Overall, I believe that replacing the standardize test and quizzes with assignments that require applying what you have learned is better for this class. Looking back, normal test only see what a student has learned from watching a video, reading a book or paying attention. Getting them to actually explain how they feel about an assignment or express their own opinion on a tool, gives more thought to it instead of simple memorization.  As for using a rubric on a project, it gives students a actual guide as to what is needed. They interpret what is being asked of them and then they make the effort into create the proper needed result. Over the course of the class, when there is a rubric for the project I normally refer back to it to make absolutely sure that I have covered the needed material to receive the most credit possible. Another way to say “I’m getting what I have put work into”; getting credit where credit is due so to speak. With just working with these types of assessment tools, I believe that students need to find the answers themselves in a way of self awareness.


The classroom is a place to learn, it is where trial and error are okay, and expected even, technology and tools like that of the Web 2.0 tools we have discussed throughout the course are excellent ways of teaching students to communicate and express ideas and opinions. Web 2.0 tools also allow students to present questions and answers in different forums. Tools such as Prezi can be used to in many ways such as demonstrate different methods for solving a specific type of mathematical problem, or present a timeline of mathematical history. Podcasting a lecture can allow students to review specific lessons that provides material that they need to focus and improve on. Blogging is excellent for sharing ideas and opinions and the responses one gets from these opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment