Web 2.0 applications such as Wiki, Social Bookmarking, and
Voice Threads are helpful in relaying a message but they also rely on using an
internet source. That is one of the primary differences between podcasts and
applications. The other applications are better off for working in a group
setting when a discussion is needed to be made to finish the task at hand.
Podcasting differs because it is more of a one on one working tool. If I were
to use podcasting, I would use it when I am on a long bus ride or on an
airplane to recap a class lecture or listen to one of my shows, something to pass
the time without relying on finding a Wi-Fi signal. Now if I am at home working
or viewing something, I have the internet at hand to use the available sources.
Due to one of my uncle’s own personal purchases recently, I
have access to all types of Apple products in my house, such iPhones, iPad,
iPod, iTouch, MacBook, etc…. Now the uses for these devices all differ
depending on what they are, the MacBook would be used for project stuff because
of all the editing software it offers, iPad for its larger screen and mobility
for gaming. However personally I like to use my iPhone for my online research,
gaming, and social media. If there is a need for it, I tend to use my phone in
classrooms to do online discussions and to pull up eBooks for the classes. I don’t
see a problem with using these tools in classes as long as the usage for them
are monitored in a way that doesn’t cause the class to loss its integrity.
To comment on that last sentence, that is the real challenge when it comes to technology in the classroom regulating the usage to make them more productive rather then counter-productive. However I believe this is something that you can regulate successfully with a watchful eye.
ReplyDelete