Having been raised with many of these programs and different
types of technology that we use on a daily basis, thus it is hard to have much
of a negative opinion of technology in the classroom. Although technology is
extraordinarily helpful when it comes to visual aids, visual representation,
and many different forms of visualization it can also distract students from lesson
and prevent the necessary learning that is intended. So although I believe that
there are ways that visualizing with technology could actually prevent and deter
students from properly learning the necessary information. The simple truth is as
much as we use visual learning in technology the consequences and the repercussions
of the use of technology are not as noticeable when compared to all of the
positives and benefits that the technology could potentially and even currently
do provide.
Visual aids are a significant part of the learning process.
Technology has had many ways of enabling students to learn and connect with the
information they are learning. Not only has technology allowed for new ways to
view visual aids, but also produce and create new visuals of all kinds, using
programs such as Paint, Microsoft Publisher, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft
Power Point, Prezi, Photoshop, and many other programs meant specifically for
visual aids and other learning tools. However visual aids are not strictly
limited to the visual aspect of learning, videos bring audio into the equation
as well as the already present visual stimulations. The combination of audio
and visual helps audible learners, visual learners, and those that learn best
under the audiovisual learning as well.
Wanting to use straight technology in a flipped instruction environment, I see your concerns for technology getting in the way of learning but I feel there will always be distractions in a classroom that we as teachers will have to face and be able to manage. But I agree, that the benefits of technology in the classroom outweigh the concerns for distractions and I am eager to begin using the resources we are learning about in our own classrooms.
ReplyDeleteJamie White
I agree that the benefits far outweigh the possible negative outcomes. Our generation is visually driven, and we need visuals to help us understand material. We are not great readers or writers anymore thanks to the visually-driven society and culture, yet we are advanced with visual stimulation. We can comprehend visual stimuli faster than we ever could before. Integrating visuals in technology, especially in the classroom, can potential motivate students to learn more a develop a sense of self-efficacy within them. I also believe that this type of instruction can be a self-directed form of learning rather than a direct-teaching approach. This is better for both the students and the teacher. -Cessily Lester
ReplyDeleteYou made some really great points, and growing up with all of this technology as well it is also hard for me to think of down sides of technology. However, one negative I can think of are when a class is solely based on using technology and the technological tool malfunctions. I have had this happen in class before and we just had to be released, because the teacher had no other material to use.
ReplyDeleteBayli Parr