Thursday, September 19, 2013

MAPping out my Search


Before this class I would primarily use Google for research, because within the first six options I would always find what I needed. When I am searching for more recreational topics I must say it is an entirely different thing to use Google, instead for things like pictures or the news I tend to use Bing more so than Google. I like almost anyone else have heard about the “Bing It on Challenge” other than that I did not really know much of anything about search engines; in fact I knew practically only the most basic things about search engines. However I believe that a combination of search engines is always helpful; no search engine will always have perfect results every time you perform a search.



After this particular display I cannot say there is a particular reason to change, at least none that I have found. As I see it there is absolutely no reason to change I think it is clear that I will not change my choice of search engine unless something with far better capabilities that actually proves to be more effective comes along in the future. As a teacher I would prefer my students stick to the search engines that they know the best and are the most comfortable with, and changing is more likely to mess them up than to help them. My opinion should not have any effect on my students’ choice of search engine, especially since they should be familiar with their search engine of choice and be capable of navigating the web and finding the information they need for themselves.


After this MAPping exercise there are numerous ways to use the internet in our favor. With multiple search engines readily available there are many ways for people to easily find the resources they need or seek. In conclusion, I am unchanged in my preferences in how I use the internet. Before this exercise I would use different engines based on the material I needed to find, this does not change my view of search engines overall. They all have same purpose they find what I need. Overall all I have learned from this lesson is that cats are afraid of beards. I did also learn a brief history of my more used engines ie Yahoo, Google, and Bing. In my opinion does this assignment prove its worth in integrating technology into the classroom I say “Yes.”; from this research I did discover more search engines that I may use to test the quality. Finally this MAPping exercise has been useful in finding options, not a lesson.   

1 comment:

  1. Allen, I agree with a lot of thoughts. I am with you as well with the search engines. I just thought that when I typed in what I was looking for, it would give me the correct information.

    ReplyDelete