Thursday, September 26, 2013

First World Online Problems


I learned that there isn’t anything on the internet that is “fair game” so to speak. To use a song or video you need to either purchase them to use the full piece or following guidelines for small segments. Over time in using different media related devices I have experiences these guidelines and restrictions however annoying and frustrating. Only after reading them did I understand that they are meant to protect everyone like the laws we have with law enforcement. It was helpful to learn that as a teacher you can ask to have a video recorded if it can be used as an education source, now I see why Bill Nye videos were always in the libraries in Dallas. As for Cyber Bullying and Netiquette, I have never experience any of these events but I know of how they can affect others. I always thought it was a one way streak, but now I know that you can start “flame wars” where two parties are posting mean things about each other on the internet. Bad mouthing someone has hit a new high now if people are actually doing that. Luckily I’ve never been a part of it and hopefully it stays that way.

After reading the four articles, it became obvious as to what main problems and woes people see and do every day.  Between Copyright and Fair Use, no one truly takes the time to go thru the necessary requirements to obtain or use anything from the internet. Everyone just knows that if you are going to use it, just don’t post it so you don’t get caught. It’s like sneaking out at night to go hang out with friends that stays between you and those around you. Now Cyber Bullying and Netiquette are a little different but it still applies to what people do in their every day. Here I’m going to quote Luke 6:31 “Do to others as you would have them do to you.” In translation that means that a person should treat others like how they want to be treated. So if that’s the case then are these bullies are secretly asking for someone to say something back to them about their imperfections? That can’t be the case because they hide behind a computer screen instead of saying it face to face, sheltering themselves from being retorted on. In my opinion, if they cannot say there words while looking you in the eyes then their comments have no grounds of truth and can easily be ignored without a second thought. What you choose to ignore defines what you use the internet and technology for.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment